And The Beat Goes On.

The joys of living where I live.

One evening recently towards the end of a two and a half hour trip home from Arusha, normally around forty minutes, the dulla dulla turned a bend and there before me was Mount Kilimanjaro's fully outlined snow capped peak bathed in glorious sunlight and to my left, Mount Meru broodily gazed down on me with its clouded swathed summit. Bliss!

Many of you would know how special this image is to me. I have known Isaak now for more than 3 years through emails, newsletters and Facebook updates. Here I am actually spending 'real' time with this marvelous young man, eating chocolate and oranges and we are making a solar powered wind mill that rotates, AND it works.

This blog will mostly contain images with some explanatory text.

Album 1. A walk in the foothills of Mount Meru.

Brooding majesty, contrasts and extremes, munchkins, water and drought, my current home

Another  Sunday stroll, over 30km. I have learned that just over there could be 10-15km.

No more nihilist posts, the chameleon was well and truly alive, many families of Colobus and Vervet monkeys.

Second Tanz Hand Farmer's Market.

Sales 30% up on the first one.

Current work from the studio, Ongea, Nasi Kuhusu Upendo.

Astonishing in the light of this being the end of our 14th week of teaching.

Including images of a bit of a wind down at the end of the day, listening to Rap, Hip Hop and some ubiquitous Reggae with Godfrey, Young Luke and Kaima behind the lens. (Managed to slip in a little Marlon Williams).

It may sound crazy to some but I was quite saddened today. The chap who brings stones in for my perusal generally asks the most astounding prices like 200,000-00/- and we bargain away, today he arrived with these two parcels of gorgeous stones and asked for 20,000/-, roughly equivalent to $AUD13, because he was hungry.

You may ask why I accepted this price, there is a great element of pride and respect here and it would have humiliated him if I had offered him more.

This made me aware of the number of senior males who are in great difficulty in Tanzania. I wonder if anyone from the Men's Shed movement would be kind enough to provide some sort of model that may contribute to solving this situation here.

Well folks, I hope you have enjoyed the picture show.

I am becoming more settled in Nkoaranga, my Swahili is slowly improving.

There are considerations of moving in with a family in a local village. Not convinced about traditional choo (toilet) or washing with cold water, but will see.

Asante sana, salama,

Babu Chris

Write a comment

Comments: 9
  • #1

Blair Akilimali (Saturday, 25 February 2017 09:37)

Wao, congratulation Babu Chris. big up! you are a truly hero of Tanzanian Needy children especially Isaak..

• #2

Chris T (Saturday, 25 February 2017 17:31)

It was a real pleasure to read this part of your blog Chris and very comforting as a friend to hear your happiness. You said before you left that you’d return a different man, you’re probably that man now and return??? Remains to be seen.
    Nihilist….I learned a new word.
    The pictures are fantastic, the earrings are lovely….best I’ve seen so far, I really like the ones that have that local feel about them.
    Those stones….what are they? They’re beautiful. Have you set any of them?
    I pondered your story about the seller who was hungry, maybe when he’s not so in need you’ll pay a bit more for his wares and gradually make it up to him that way? However you do it, I know you’ll do it with the necessary tact.

I once purchased some beautiful earrings from an aboriginal lady at Alice Springs, they were made by her and incorporated the seed of a tree that, I’m told, only grows in and around Alice (I’ll email you a pic), she was asking very little for them (nothing remotely like the prices being asked in the shops who had purchased them from the same people), these earrings are over 20 years old now, they’re still as strong and stunning as the day I became their keeper and I’ve never seen another pair like them.
    But I digress…..
    We’re loving being part of your journey, the pics and the adventures. As long as we’ve known you you’ve lived solo so it’s going to be even more of a learning curve should you move in with a family in the village but you’re no stranger now to adapting to and embracing new things. No pics of you and the choo please !!

• #3

Lindi (Saturday, 25 February 2017 19:25)

Howdy Dudy there Chris,
    Great to see yet another blog from yourself, I was wondering what new adventure you would be out on only a couple of days ago. Beaut pics. Had to chuckle on your learning of how far "just over there" was!! Am quite jealous of your beautiful scenery seen. Was going to ask though, what do they mine over there...... eg. the stones you buy etc. Keep having fun, & being happy which you sound. take care, Lindi

• #4

Judy and Owen (Saturday, 25 February 2017 21:48)

It's wonderful to be able to share your activities in this way. Great photographs that we have both enjoyed. It was good to see you looking so well and so obviously enjoying everything that you come across. Life leads you to such interesting places and people. It has clearly been an adventure that exceeds your expectations. We think of you and admire what you are doing. Our best wishes come with this message.
    Judy and Owen

• #5

Christopher (Sunday, 26 February 2017 03:46)

Asante Sana, to all you wonderful folk who posted such inspiring comments.
    It is such an incredible privilege to not only live and enjoy these experiences, but to share them with you.
    Salama,
    Babu Chris

• #6

Valerian (Monday, 27 February 2017 00:53)

Great and looks fantastic

Upo juu

Vale

• #7

Frazer (Tuesday, 28 February 2017 01:31)

Hi Poppy, those are nice photos. I like the chameleon. I wish I could have one as a pet. Hope you're having a good time :)

• #8

Adriana (Wednesday, 08 March 2017 02:33)

Great work Chris the world is a better place because you're in it.

• #9

Christopher (Wednesday, 08 March 2017 02:43)

Thank you Adriana, although I think the world is a better place because we are all in it.

Contact