November 21, Nkoaranga, Usu.

Greetings All,

What craziness international travel has proven to be to be, admittedly I had not been on an international flight since 1989. Queues, befuddlement passing through screening resulting in the separation of Chris and his wallet, this was sorted fairly easily. In a moment of stress and packing madness, I decided to swap seats on the plane, ended up with THE WORST SEAT possible resulting in 15 ½ hours of extreme discomfort and sleeplessness. Arrived in Doha at 5am Qatar time and walked, and walked and walked and walked past the duty free chocolate shop and stocked up on over-priced Kit Kats for all the children at The Small Things.

On boarding the flight to Kilimanjaro, I was delightedly indulged for the next 5 hours, pure and excessive over-compensation for the Sydney/Doha leg.

Arranged volunteer’s visa easily at the airport, downhill from there as the metal I had donated caused consternation and I spent the next 2 hours with the delightful folk in customs working out duties and taxes. My openness and acceptance of folk made for a lovely experience filled will much laughter and bonhomie, leaving me $USD225.00 lighter. Emmanuel (driver, there are a large number of Emmanuel’s, so I designate them by their role) and Teressa (from TST) were great company through this process.

It was interesting the first trees I sighted on landing were Jacaranda and Poinciana in full bloom.

My first breakfast was very white bread toasted over a gas ring with avocado and mashed banana.

My digs are fairly basic but really comfortable and everyone is so welcoming and supportive.

I am known as Buba Benjamin (father of Benjamin) or Babu Jai (grandfather of Jai) each being the first-born. Generally shortened to Buba.

Will fill you all in on the Arusha Christmas Markets a little later.

Write a comment

Comments: 8
  • #1

Penny (Monday, 21 November 2016 00:54)

Yum!....banana on toast - looks great

• #2

Bernice (Monday, 21 November 2016 01:24)

Interested to hear about your journey and sorry you had to lose some $! Lovely pictures!

• #3

Wendy (Monday, 21 November 2016 01:58)

Great photos and my sort of brekky yum

• #4

Sally Hardwick (Monday, 21 November 2016 02:26)

Hi Dad, lots adventures before you even start! Frazer likes the giant blow up bear but thinks banana on toast is YUCK!

• #5

Lynden (Monday, 21 November 2016 14:08)

Chris - great to hear your news. You are approaching your adventures with such good cheer. Onya mate. X

• #6

Lainey (Monday, 21 November 2016 15:55)

G'day, Christopher,

Sorry to hear that your flight from Sydney was so uncomfortable,but no doubt your welcome at Nkoaranga would have made up for it.
    Great pics - few of many to follow.
    Did you suffer from jet-lag?
    I will make a point of not bringing anything metal with me! I couldn't think of anything worse happening after a long flight than being held up with having to explain good intentions!
    More photos please.
    LOL, Lainey.

• #7

Domi (Wednesday, 23 November 2016 17:11)

Yambo Buba!
    So it's the same temperature as we have here is it - Jacaranda & Poinciana blossoming here as well. How glorious....
    Apart from the travelling pains, it all sounds very lovely Chris. I feel a tiny little point of envy starting to drill my brain for a rediscovery of Africa. I never had it before. If I win the Lotto, I might just come and visit you....
    Love
    xoxox
    :-)

• #8

Lainey Sheldon (Monday, 28 November 2016 16:10)

Hi Christopher,

Hope this finds you settled in and with all your equipment delivered to TST in good order.
    The weather there must be similar to ours at this time of the year - no cold nights yet?
    It must be exciting to be planning your first adventure into the African bush. I suppose you will be doing that as soon as you have some time off - where will you go first?
    The children look so happy and well cared for - thank goodness for people who care!

LOL Lainey.